Thursday, April 26, 2007

Proud

I am proud of us. Today we really came together as a Sheva Community. We started in the morning by finishing up our projects in the little garden. We have been digging a trench and cutting fence to try and keep the animals out. This was a laborious task, but we worked together to finish it today. Ariel collected the rocks, and Ezra and I dug and filled the trench with dirt. Afterwards we planted the rest of the squash along the fence. We also collected rocks and placed them around the tomato bed so that people do not step on them! (They are in the middle of the garden). As we left the garden we started making a list of everything we have worked on in there over the course of the past 4 months. I felt very proud of all the work we have done. When I first moved here, that land was barren. Now it is full of wonderful plants and vegetables. I can’t wait for them to grow!

The thing that made my day today was working together to build a cabinet for BCI art supplies. I felt that I used a lot of new skills I learned while at Sheva. For instance, we used a mallet to break the existing shelves in this cabinet. Then we used a hammer to take out the nails. Afterwards we used a measuring stick to lay out the new shelving, and sawed (very difficult!) the shelf. The three of us really worked together when we were sawing. We could have done separate tasks, but we chose to help each other get the saw perfectly in line to make a great shelf. After a few practice rounds we were ready to cut! Ariel went first, then me, then Ezra. We guided each other and ended up with a beautiful shelf!! I think everyone was surprised at how quickly we accomplished this task. I know now that with a little teamwork, almost anything can be accomplished!

As my time here nears an end, I am starting to get a little sad. We have done so much work here – Everything that I have worked on here I had never done before. I am so proud of myself. And I am so proud of us as a group. Yay Sheva!

No comments: